Friday, February 21, 2014

The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates: Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson




OK, I'll admit, I'm just not that into Pirate tales. I have certainly enjoyed the odd one here and there, provided the cast (or should I say crew) is interesting and entertaining. I'll also admit that the first time I saw this book, I passed on it since the cover depicting a girl at the prow of a ship didn't quite catch my eye enough. But then I noticed the title.

The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates: Magic Marks the Spot.

Very Nearly Honorable anything just promises a fun, humorous read, and so I bought it. Let me say that it is one of the more unique books I have read, every chapter ending with a "document" from the story that tells more of the tale in a refreshingly creative way. And even better, of course, is the story itself.

Hilary Westfield is the young daughter of the Admiral of the Royal Navy. Her goal and dream in life is to be a pirate, but there's only one problem. The VNHLP (Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates) doesn't allow girls to be pirates. And so, Hilary is sent to Miss Pimm's Finishing School for Delicate Ladies instead. Hilary would rather die than attend Miss Pimm's, so naturally, she escapes and, along with her faithful Gargoyle, joins the crew of a rogue pirate named Jasper Fletcher. Mr. Fletcher's crew is just the kind of crew I love in Pirate tales. It consists of Hilary Westfield, her Gargoyle, Jasper Fletcher himself, Charlie (Mr. Fletcher's young first mate), Oliver (an old enemy of Hilary's), and--Hilary's governess, Miss Greyson. Their mission? To track down the Enchantress' legendary magical treasure. What follows is a wonderful story full of humor, a little mystery, a little suspense, unexpected twists and turns, friendship, betrayal, capture, treasure map deciphering, dancing sheep, and of course, magic!

I can honestly say that I really enjoyed this book. The cast was very endearing and I was a little sad to come to the end of the story and take leave of them. But one can take joy in the fact that this is only the first book in a series--and a very good one at that too, I might add!

No comments:

Post a Comment