Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Plumb: Need You Now

     

I know this is yet another review, but I read, play video games, listen to music, and watch movies a lot, so why not write reviews on that stuff? This time I'm taking a look at a CD that I've been playing almost nonstop for two weeks now.

After a hiatus of about five years, Plumb released her latest album Need You Now. This 13 track studio album showcases the unique style and writing that has set Plumb apart from many of today's artists and bands, as well as a few tracks where Plumb experiments with happier, more upbeat sounds. I'm going to break it down track by track, sharing my thoughts on each individual song.

So track 1: Invisible. Can I just say that the first track of any album is perhaps the most important. The rest of an album can be background noise, but I find myself listening to it over and over if the first track is something that captures my attention and, maybe even gets stuck in my head in a non-annoying way. Invisible is one of those tracks. The music is typical of Plumb's slightly mesmerizing synth and drum driven style. A song about how hard it can be to follow an invisible God sometimes. It's easy to hear Plumb's desperate cry to see God in her vocals, and the beautiful conclusion that even when we can't see God, we can feel Him there and, quite honestly, there's nowhere else we can or want to go but to Him. This track alone is worth the money for the entire album, but of course, there's more she has to offer.

Track 2: Drifting. Featuring Dan Haseltine's signature vocals, this is another of Plumb's musings on the feeling of being lost and without direction. For me, the track was nothing outstanding besides the vocals. Plumb's and Haseltine's voices blend together quite well and make this a decent, enjoyable track.

Track 3: Beautiful. A song written for her husband about what his encouragement really means to her. The lyrics are well written, and the vocals right on, but again, I feel as if the music is nothing special. It is a sweet song though, and I enjoy hearing it.

Track 4: One Drop. Be prepared to gasp in shock at the bouncy, happy sound in this track that is so foreign to Plumb's music. An uplifting song with a message of the church being stronger together than we are by ourselves. Showcasing the ever popular sound of the Ukulele, this song will have you tapping your foot and bobbing your head from the first note to the last.

Track 5: I Want You Here. OK, if you listen to this song and you're not feeling the urge to cry by the end of it, your headphones must not have been working. Fix them and listen to it again. A song written from the point of view of a mother who has lost an infant. Every line of the song is sung beautifully, Plumb's voice conveying the anguish and helplessness spot on. I can't think of another song where the vocals capture the mood and feeling of the lyrics as well as what she has managed to do in this track. An absolutely stellar song.

Track 6: Say Your Name. A song about a broken heart. The lyrics definitely capture the feeling, but after the exceptional job in the last track, the vocals just don't compare. All in all, it's a decent song. I do like the use of the auto tune in the vocals at one point.

Track 7: Unlovable. I really don't have much to say as this song feels like a filler to me, but the message is a good one. It's a call to the church to see and love others as Jesus does. The music is slower and a little more meditative than the other songs in the album, and it's worth listening to for the message.

Track 8: Need You Now (How Many Times). I'm pretty sure everyone has heard this song already, seeing as it's one of the most played songs on the radio, but I'll give my thoughts on it anyway. With a sound typical of today's christian music, it does manage to capture the desperate cry (yeah, it's a theme in her music) for God to take her out of a painful situation. I love how this song is written as a cry, almost a scream when most artists have used a slower sound for the same theme. A beautiful message and wonderful lyrics. It's easy to see how it made radio's top hits list.

Track 9: Chocolate & Ice Cream. Plumb must have had fun with One Drop because the same bouncy sound is back in track 9. A lighthearted song about the differences between her and her husband, yet how they go together like chocolate and ice cream. It makes for a fun, enjoyable track.

Track 10: Don't Deserve You. The first thing I think about when I hear this, is the relationship between God and man and how we really don't deserve to have God's love. Yet, he chases after us and gives us everything anyway. The music's not anything special, but I like the lyrics.

Track 11: Cage. From the first line, we know to expect another biting rock song that brings us back to the early years of Plumb. Quite honestly, I love the sound and the tune, but I'm at a loss as to what it means, other than, apparently, Plumb doesn't like cages.

Track 12: At Arm's Length. Again, I don't have much to say. Really, I can't even remember the tune, so obviously not a standout track. And the words are still something I'm trying to figure out. I think it's a song written for her husband, but not sure.

Track 13: I Don't Deserve You (with Paul van Dyke). A remix of the earlier track Don't Deserve You. It's nicely done with a techno dance feel to it.

Well there it is, my thoughts on the tracks. Overall, the album is great! It's just another reminder of why we love Plumb so much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment